SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
A holistic approach to doing business.
Our approach to responsible business means we contribute to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. These goals are interconnected, and we have identified 10 areas from the 17 SDGs where we believe we have achieved the greatest impact so far. These are
- 1- No poverty
- 2- Zero Hunger
- 3- Good Health and Well Being
- 4- Gender Equality
- 5- Decent work and economic growth
- 6- Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
- 7- Responsible consumption and production
- 8- Sustainable cities and communities
- 9- Good jobs and economic growth
- 10- Protect the planet
BUSINESS FOR GOOD
The impact of our activities across Africa reaches beyond the guests who walk through our doors. Through our businesses, we focus on improving lives and transforming Africa one step at a time by driving positive social and environmental change in our communities, employees and supply chain.
Empowering Africans across the continent.
In collaboration with the Tony Elumelu Foundation’s Entrepreneurship Programme, Transcorp contributes its quota towards funding, training, and mentoring 10,000 African entrepreneurs with the Foundation’s seed capital investment USD 100million over 10 years. The aim of the program is to create a million jobs and add $10billion in revenue to Africa’s economy.
Business Empowerment Program for Women.
We started with a re-purpose project where discarded linens are given a second life instead of sending them to the landfills. The lines are dyed with African patterns while the women are trained to acquire basic sewing skills. From the discarded linens, the women make children’s clothing, and amenity bags for our Guests. The essence of the program is to allow underprivileged young women acquire sewing skills (learn a trade) but also basics of running a small business (entrepreneurship and financial independence). At the end of the program, each woman is offered a manual sewing machine and encouraged to become an entrepreneur.
PRESERVING OUR ENVIRONMENT
Preserving our planet for future generations.
We track the environmental foot print to conserve natural resources and reduce environmental impact across our subsidiaries. Some of our key initiatives include: "Energy & Greenhouse Effect", "Water-Save Every Drop", "Material Recycle", "Naija Brics", "Responsible Sourcing", "Soap for Hope Project" among others.
Relentless in our pursuit to provide opportunities for all.
We achieved remarkable milestones reflected throughout this sustainability and social impact report. Some of our achievements include:
1. Contributing towards the empowerment of African Entrepreneurs through the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme. This programme is Africa’s largest philanthropic initiative, with a $100m commitment to empower 10,000 entrepreneurs over 10 years to create a million jobs and add $10billion in revenue to Africa’s economy.
2. Partnering with ACE Charity, a non-profit organisation to extend our reach to communities where we operate. In 2017 through this partnership, we drew attention to the power of recycling waste by repurposing used bath soaps into new soap bars donated to the pupils of local schools.
3. Supporting hospitals, resettlement camps, prisons and public schools with food supplies, toiletries, pillows, bedsheets and facilities to improve in the standard of living.
4. Providing training and awareness in health and safety management to help minimize harm to our stakeholders and Staff are trained to assess and respond appropriately to threatening situations at places of business and its environment.